Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tuesday-Guangzhou zoo and William

Tiger at the zoo.

Grace and Joshua(4 yr. old) that has been with his forever family for about 8 days.


Seals, we also saw dolphins. Grace loved them all.
Today Grace and I went by ourselves with the other family from our agency that we have met here to the Guangzhou zoo. Grace asked for some time alone with just me and that's what we did. Grace and Joshua loved seeing the animals and the seal and dolphin show. Dan and Will stayed back at the hotel and then went out to do a little shopping for diapers and snacks to take on the plane home. When I said goodbye to leave for the zoo, William became very upset and didn't want me to leave. This was a big first. When we returned I came into the room and he ran up to me, grabbed my legs and let me pick him up and kiss him! He was genuinely happy to see me! There has been a huge change...he sits on my lap for long periods of time and now I can carry him or pick him up when he falls down. After 9 days of being with us, he's warming up to me and showing me affection( he spontaneously gave me a kiss right before bedtime!). I'll admit I was very sad the first few days after we received him because he was rejecting me and going only to Dan. I changed my expectations pretty quickly about what this experience would be like, and kept hoping and praying he'd eventally allow his mama to love him and take care of him. I can't tell you how it makes me feel ...more than great if there's such a thing, immensely thankful and so proud of this little boy and how far he's come with the monumental changes in his life. God has given us this gift of William Michael.



11 kind words:

Story of our Life said...

Okay...now I'm crying. :) I'm soo happy for you Gail!! It just makes my heart melt each time I read your updates. What a life changing event for each of you. I'm so happy he progressing so much in the last week.

Great for Grace to be able to ask for some mommy time. She is so precious. My Aunt and I sat and 'looked' at all of your pics last night. She was soooo impressed at how "Gracefull" and "Beautiful" this little angel of yours is. She just kept saying it over and over. I'll have to tell you later more of what she said. She was in China a few years ago and recognised many of the pics you posted. :)
Take Care. Gala

polkadot said...

the other day I talked to friends about adopting again and they said, "you can't save the world!" They only say that because they haven't experienced what you are going through right now. Sometimes it does feel like we're saving the world in the best way we can!

We were at that zoo last fall and saw a show with a monkey riding on a lion's back etc. Did you see that one?

Be safe, you're home free v. soon...

OH MY #6 said...

Oh boy that tiger is BIG!

It sounds like you are doing just wonderfully. No surprise though. You are in my thoughts and prayers my friend.

Lea
xo X 100!

missy said...

Gail,

I am so glad that you and Grace had some special mommy/daughter time. That is so important.

What fabulous news that William LOVES his mommy!!! I know it takes time and it is just going to get stronger and stronger.

You are blessed beyond measure!

Paula said...

Gail, that is great that he's bonding with you. It must feel SOOO good to have him run up to hug you.

Steffie B. said...

have you not been listening to me??? lol I told you it will be fine......you are an awesome momma.....William will adore you! ;)

Gail said...

OK Gail,
Let me dry my eyes!

These children are gifts.
Sometimes I am at a loss for words to express just how special they are.

I am so happy that William is getting to know his mommy!

Unknown said...

Yeah!! Such great progress! I am thankful you are feeling encouraged. I am sure that is really helping with all the travels and stress right now.
I bet Miss Grace thouroughly enjoyed some mama time - good for y'all.

redmaryjanes said...

Beautiful post. I am glad that William is opening his little heart to his Mom. I have to be prepared that I may not be Sophia's first choice and I know that it will really hurt, but I will have to be patient like you have been.
I will pray for a safe trip home for you. You have been on my mind while you have been there.

Kim N Jeff said...

I am reading all of your posts from the last couple of days and I'm crying... I'm so happy for you. It sounds like you have been having such an amazing journey.

Thinking about you safe travels home!

Kerry said...

Oh my goodness. What a wonderful blessing. Clearly he is loving his mama! And your Grace is so darling.

You must be so relieved and happy!

Hugs

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs