Tuesday, January 17, 2012

3/52 - preparation

Chinese New Year Lantern
3/52 - preparation

We have the house decorated and ready to welcome the Year of the Dragon that starts Jan. 23.
I've been asked to give Chinese New Year presentations
 to both of Grace and Will's classes this year.
It's been fun to prepare and we're pretty excited.


Edited later to say:
So I've been asked about resources and what am I presenting?
I try and keep it age appropriate, Will is in Kindergarten so
I'm reading Bringing In the New Year by Grace Lin.
I'll show the class where the country of China is as related to the United States
on a globe or map in the classroom.
We'll do a craft and make a paper dragon,
have a snack of oranges
 and hand out red envelopes with chocolate coins in them (at the end).
We may play a game.
For Grace's class(3rd) we'll do a little more.

A great resource that I highly recommend is the book,
Chinese New Year For Kids, by Cindy Roberts.

Both of the above books are found on Amazon and I linked to them.

Some other web sites I love are
China Sprout for everything Chinese and culture related.

Oriental Trading for red envelopes, items for a party, etc.


Please let me know if anyone has other resources,
would love to find out more!






8 kind words:

Truly Blessed said...

Katie's school is a Mandarin Immersion school, so I don't need to do anything for that, I'm sure I'll enjoy just being a spectator for that one!

I'm going to do a presentation in Ella's class also. Can you tell me what you're doing in Will's?

Sharon said...

Gorgeous pic and I would love to hear what you plan to do with the class!

Love Letters To China said...

Beautiful picture Gail. Please share your information. Would love to have it on hand in case I'm asked to do the same.

xo

Hoots Momma said...

Okay Gail... looks great. I'm not there yet... not surprised! Also how did you add the "a mothers art" to all of your images?

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

You will do an awesome job! Well heck you have taught me many things about the Asian culture.

The lanterns look so pretty!

lea
xo

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

So pretty!!!

I know that both classrooms will enjoy every minute of your presentations!! Sounds like lots of fun~

xo,

Lisa

Gina Kleinworth said...

I absolutely LOVE that you celebrate & you do it like this Gail. I can't wait to see more!!!!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I didn't do a presentation at school this year, but thankfully someone else did! Thanks for the links, and - for next year - another site that is kinda tough to navigate but has some good stuff is "Asia for Kids."

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs