Sunday, December 6, 2009

O Tannenbaum


'This little green one here seems to need a home.' Charlie Brown in A Charlie Brown Christmas(1965)


There is nothing like the fragrant scent of fresh pine that triggers my own memories of Christmas. I've experienced a fresh cut Christmas tree growing up in my parent's home and always as an adult...it wouldn't be Christmas to me without one. We've cut down Christmas trees in the mountains near Santa Cruz when we lived in California, bought them off a lot in the Chicago area and now have the tradition of going to this precious tree farm near our home here in Wisconsin.

This is our 4th time here and Will's second time, last year Dan carried him because it was bitter cold and snowy. This year our little guy walked all the way up to the trees by himself (it's a pretty long hike especially for a 3 year old). I was so proud of him!

As we searched for the perfect tree, Will found the 'perfect stick.' Gotta love a stick when you're a little boy. William carried that stick around all morning and he made that stick do pretty much anything that a stick could do.


Both kids loved feeding apples to the reindeer and especially liked eating their first candy cane of the season. :)

14 kind words:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a wonderful tradition for Will and Grace! This looks like such a cool tree farm with lots to do for the kids!! I had to laugh when I read about the stick. Nick always did that as a little boy and actually still does it now!!

The pictures are beautiful and depict the story of a fantastic family day!!

Have fun decorating the tree!!

xoxo,

Lisa

Kim said...

LOVE ... LOVE .. LOVE fresh cut trees..
Hopefully next year we have a real one ... I bought a fake one this year... we had a bad one last year.. and couldn't get a ticket to get one this year.. so we will try next year..
LOVE the photos..
the kids are toooo CUTE..
Hugs...

Ice Cream! said...

What a wonderful family tradition...one that your kids will look back on with fond memories, like you :)

Love the pics...too cute!

Courtney said...

These pictures are precious. I loved going and finding a Christmas tree when I was younger. It makes for wonderful memories!

Michelle R Photography said...

Gorgeous pics of your fun, family tradition!! I feel like I was there with you. Only I don't miss the cold. :)

Wanda said...

I really love your tradition. And your pictures are just lovely.

Wanda (at Last...)

Karen said...

..okay, so we're buying stock in a multitude of photo frame manufacturers- :)... guessing that your walls, tables, shelves have to be brimming with your gorgeous shots-(no way could you just pick a few) not to mention all those lucky folks who have had their pics taken by you!
LOVE all of these- but that last one of your Will- pretty special!
Hope you all have fun decorating the tree!

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

What an awesome tradition!!! I love the pictures Gail...I need you to show me how to make a collage. I have some of Steffie's brain cells (oops, should I start running now).

Margaret M said...

I used to go to a tree farm with my Dad each year. That smell of the trees takes me right back there each time. looks like you had a wonderful time! Love the candy cane pics best of all!

Jboo said...

So fun -- can just about smell those trees right through the blog! :) Lovely photos!

Hope you all have a great week!

Janet

Jodee said...

What a fun tradition! It looks like the kids had a great time picking out the perfect tree! Cute pictures!

fleur de lis cottage said...

What a great family outing and tradition. Those trees are gorgeous (your photography does them justice).

Super Mommy said...

Candy Canes are the best! I love them too. What a wonderful tradition! I'm sure the kiddos enjoyed it as much as you did!

Dita said...

I just love to see the photo tapestries you weave of these special memories you are making with Will and Grace.

Stick.....oh, you know those sticks last and last and last....I'll bet if your Nick were with you that day he'd have found one too.....what's a boy without a stick!

Wonderful, wonderful images....I can smell Christmas from here!

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs