Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks by Dan


Thanksgiving isn't "Thankful day" but rather "give thanks day." To whom are we giving "Thanks"? God, of course. 18 years ago in this month of November I was in a near fatal car accident driving back home on a business trip through central California. I can't count the number of times that someone has asked me, "Did you pray for God to save you?" When I was trapped in the wreckage, I remember clearly asking Him to "let me get to the hospital". I knew that I would have a fighting chance if I could make it there. The other most popular question I am asked is, "Did it change you?" Of course it changed me. It made very aware that everything we have can be taken away in an instant and it made me appreciate the value of every day. I spent 4 long months in the hospital and there were some very dark days during that time. For a while the doctors didn't know how to help me, I was that sick. During my recovery, at some point I began thanking God daily for all he has given me. I try to say it every morning, sometimes in the evening and whenever I notice the beauty that surrounds us. It goes something like this:


"Thank you Lord, for this beautiful day. For my wonderful children, my wife, my home and the life you have given me. Thank you for my friends & family and all the special people that you have had touch my life. Let me walk in your shadow wherever you lead me. Guide me to be a better person tomorrow than I am today. Thank you for this day and every day and the opportunities you give me to learn and grow."


Everything in life is transient - good times, bad times, happy times and sad times. Everything comes and goes. Time passes. We are blessed with this moment. Someday our kids will get older and move away. We have a brief few years to help them learn and grow - to help them find the beauty and the joy in themselves. Life is a precious gift that comes with no guarantees other than the chance to make the most of it. Thanksgiving is every day.


13 kind words:

Karen said...

Beautifully written Dan!
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Gail said...

Your post touched my heart.
May God bless you and your beautiful family.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Story of our Life said...

So very true and beautifully written. Thank You for sharing!!

Those two lil angels are so sweet!! I love their innocent looks in these 2 pictures.

Love, Gala

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a beautiful post Dan!!

Blessing from my family to yours!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Happy day of giving thanks and many more to come!

Ashley said...

You wrote such touching and meaningful words. Thank you for sharing your heart, Dan. I wish your wonderful family a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.

OH MY #6 said...

I want to say thank you. But, a few times.

Thank you, for allowing me to read your story.

Thank you, for sharing your story.

And, thank you, for that beautiful prayer.

You have stopped me in my tracks.

Lea
xo

Steffie B. said...

Beautiful post.....and the pictures of the kids are outstanding....Happy Thanksgiving sweet friend....
Hugs,
Steffie

Kim said...

Happy Thanksgiving..
Have a Great Day..

insanemommy said...

Gail, I read this with chills. I can't imgaine (ever) loosing something so precious. You have truly been bleesed to have such amazing friends and family.

Beautiful post. Thanks for reminding us of what we have to be thankful for.

Rony

Alyson and Ford said...

Beautiful!
We are blessed everyday!

Alyson
Alyzabeth's Mommy
Forever Family Day 09/16/08

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

I am just catching up on my blogroll after being away and saw this inspiring post! Being thankful every day is truly the only way to live your life; you are so right.

You are an amazing soul!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Dan, my husband almost died two years ago during the week of Thanksgiving. He was miraculously healed and released from the hospital on Thanksgiving Day. Your post truly resonated with me. Thanks for sharing it.

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs