Wednesday, April 6, 2011

something very special


Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things. ~Author Unknown

Lori, me and Grace.

Friends blw 1
Our trip to Florida was fabulous in so many ways.
And really the word 'fabulous' can't anywhere near describe those 4 days
staying with Grace and her family.
It was so much more than that.
One of the highlights was being able to finally meet Lori.
Friends blw 2
(Lori and her daughter Katie Starr)



I first found Lori's blog about 5 years ago when we were starting to paper chase for our dossier.
I soon fell in love with her family and noticed many similarities between the two of us.
We both were married previously and have oldest sons who are exactly the same age.
Now we're in second marriages and each have also adopted a daughter and a son from China.
Lori is probably one of the strongest people I've ever known and has a wicked funny sense of humor!

Deep inside, I knew we'd meet someday...and we did for the first time in person at her daughter Katie's 6th birthday party on Saturday.

Quite a while ago Lori made up this little acronym...'SFAM'...it stands for 'sister from another mom.'
That's what we call each other.
I had the pleasure of taking some of the pictures of Katie's party for Lori and Marc.

Friends blw 3
(My Grace with Katie Starr)

Lori's daughter Katie is beautiful, funny and very bright.
She's a gentle and kind little girl.
I was so happy Grace could finally meet her!


Friends blw 4
(Grace with 8 year old Natalie)

I believe I found Grace's blog about 18 months ago through Lori's blog.
Grace and I met in person for the first time a year ago at a photography workshop.
We started chatting through emails and facebook, and eventually phone calls.
Grace and I have very similar parenting styles, a touch of ocd about our houses (which is pretty funny)
and a love affair with our cameras.

And I found out that Grace and Lori live near each other and were already dear friends!
Somehow that didn't surprise me as they both are caring, kind, encouraging and genuine people.
I adore these two lovely women very much who share so much with me.
We all have wonderful husbands, a love of photography, and youngest sons who were born in China. 
Lori's son Ethan -5, Grace's son Liam - 4 and my Will - 5.
Next trip the Dads and little boys will be getting together too!

Friends blw 5
(The two 8 year olds - Natalie and Grace)

 These two new bff hit it off pretty much as soon as we arrived at Grace's home.
Let's just say there was bonding while playing Barbies.

I could write lots more but am saving that for a few more posts about our friends
and more pics showing our time in Florida!

the long road





21 kind words:

Love Letters To China said...

OMG Gail....these are amazing! I love the way Katie's hair looks in the one with Grace....just simply stunning.

We had such a great time while you both were here. Liam is constantly talking about you and Grace and how he wants you to come back with Will next time. I feel exactly the same way you wrote....we definitely share a special bond. Can't wait to see all the rest in your future posts.

Hugs....

Ashley Sisk said...

What an awesome meet up - looks like all of you had a wonderful time!

the meaklims said...

What a beautiful friendship you all share. sounds like you all had a wonderful time together.

Jill

Hannah said...

Such beautiful pictures and beautiful faces :)

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

so glad your trip was fabulous! You know how happy I am for you. You are so deserving my friend.

lea
xo

Jboo said...

How wonderful to meet in real life! :) Beautiful Moms and girls! So glad you had a great time and can't wait to hear more about it and see more of your fabulous photos!

Janet

Wanda said...

Such a cool meet-up. I thought about you all a lot while you were there. I have many wonderful people in my life but some of the more recent bloggy friends are so dear to me. I'm so glad you got to meet Lori and send such a great time with Grace and her family.

These pics are wonderful. I adore the one of Natalie and Grace. I swear - Grace looks radiant. How great they hit it off so well.

Enjoy your memories!!
xoxo

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

OK SFAM, these pics are truly amazing and I am so honored by your appraisal of Katie and I. I am so glad that we were finally able to meet in person and my only regret is that we did not spend even more time together. I am hoping it will be VERY soon ;-)

I did not even take one pic this past weekend so as soon as you are able to send some of yours, I will be blogging them with my own thoughts....can't wait.

Much love to you and the family! I miss you already!
Lori

Lori Lynn said...

Great post! I love it. I too was amazed by the differences in Grace's and Katie's hair.

The pictures are amazing as usual. Very nice in B/W.

Michelle R Photography said...

Oh my, Gail, these b/w photos are wonderful!! That picture of Grace and Natalie is gorgeous, as is the one of you lovely ladies! What a fabulous trip to see some special ladies with which you share a special bond.

Laurie said...

LOVE the new acronym!! We all need people like that in our lives. :) I can't wait to see all the awesome pictures I'm SURE you took!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Glad to hear you had such a great time...

Missy said...

How much fun and what GORGEOUS photos! I love when friends get together and enjoy each other the way you all clearly do!

Lovely!

Casey said...

HOW FUN!! And I love the SFAM thing... so true! Especially in our blogging world.

I had lost track of Lori's blog over the years, but I followed her journey too years ago while waiting for Em. So glad to finally find it again! Adding it to my list so I don't lose it :)

Glad you all had a wonderful time. LOVE all the photos and can't wait to see more!

Laura L. said...

That is awesome. What sweet and wonderful friendships. Very neat to read about. So happy for you. Lovely photos.
Is it spring in your neck of the woods yet? It's happening over here, finally. Woot!

Jodee said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous time in Florida. Cute pictures!

Kim said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip..
It is truly amazing how you can find such amazing friends through blogs and the red thread connection..
It was meant to be..
I soooo will meet you one day my freind..
Love ya..

ashley said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip with some very special friends. I can't wait to see more pictures from Florida.
hugs,
Ashley

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

What a blessing you ALL must be for each other!!! There is something SO sweet about friends!!! SO happy you all had such a great time!!!
Blessings!!!

j-chin said...

Beautiful pictures, sweet frienship, happy kids, wonderful parents.

I love this quote:
There are big ships and small ships. But the best ship of all is friendship. ~ Author Unknown

Kayce said...

Beautiful memories captured! A lifetime of friendships for all of you. I'm so glad you guys had such a wonderful time!

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs