Wednesday, January 20, 2010

black and white Wednesday

It's Black and White Wednesday again...
loved seeing everyone's pictures last week and found quite a few new blogs too!
Well, lately I've been dreaming of warm weather, sunshine and beaches...
and the closest thing to that were these shells I keep on a table in our master bedroom.
This was shot on a white bench with a fair amount of light coming through the window. I wanted a lot of negative space in the image and shallow depth of field. You can see the blur start on the edge of the shells and the edge of the antique dish. Normally I would have left this with very muted, soft colors but loved the way this turned out converted to a black and white.
I added a few Florabella 2 textures to make it more vintage looking. I love the effect.
Please check what Lisa has posted and more black and white images linked to her blog. :)

29 kind words:

Jboo said...

Beautiful photo Gail -- you are so talented! Also dreaming of warm weather and beaches! :)

Janet

Anonymous said...

beautiful picture.... When I look at this picture I can imagine i'm on a beach, with white sand and just listening to the sound of the ocean.
Thanks for a nice thought to the beginning of the day !

Kayce said...

Too funny...I did a beach shot for my b/w today.
Beautiful shot Gail...I wish I had half the talent you have! Happy Wednesday.

Kim said...

my favorite things.. seashells. ..makes me want to be in the sand on the beach..
Love it..
Hugs..

Unknown said...

This picture is SO perfect for this cold winter day! I have found myself longing for summer lately. Not just the warmth that it brings, but also the calm and relaxing times : )

Robin said...

Love this feel of this ... the vintage look is great! I can't wait for summer ... I would settle for warmer weather :)

Take care - Robin

Dita said...

Gail, there is not one thing about this photos that I'm not CRAZY about.....it is simply GORGEOUS. Oh, I am longing for the warm weather now!

Stunning!

xoxoxo
Dita

kerri said...

you inspire me!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

OH, I LOVE IT!! The perfect thing to get us thinking about those beautiful summer days on the beach:)

This is really gorgeous..... I also love the textures you chose...they work perfectly and really add to the shells!!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Almost forgot....thanks for playing along:)

Love Letters To China said...

Wow is that one of the most beautiful photos! I love everything about it. I am fortunate enough to live in a warm area of the USA. Even though I am about 2 miles from the beach, I don't get there very often. Looking at your photo makes me want to take a break and enjoy what I sometimes take for granted.

Casey said...

Forgot it was Wednesday... yikes.

See... that picture is why I seriously debated joining. Who can compete with you all?? :) Wow. That is incredible.

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Wow! I wouldn't think a picture of seashells would make me speechless but it obviously composed with so much thought and love.

I think I smell the salt mist air right now.

Blessings~
Lisa

Wanda said...

Just gorgeous. Love the softness of the shading, the lay-out, the texture. Love it all.

Unknown said...

This is perfect! I love the post processing of this photo, and the textures you added really makes it over the top! Perfect. I really like Florabella too! This could definitely be framed, hung on the wall and become a work of art :) Found your blog through B&W Wednesday, and so glad I did. Will be stopping back for sure. Feel free to visit mine...http://thejasandersfamily.blogspot.com/

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

this is gorgeous Gail! i feel like I could reach in and pick one of shells up.

Lea
xo

Marla said...

Gorgeous Gail! And I love your new watermark.

fleur de lis cottage said...

Gail...that is an absolutely beautiful image! Love it!

Unspoken said...

Gail, I love your take on the theme!

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

OMG!!!! I want this picture!!!!!! I love this so much!!!!!!!! Love love love love love this!!!!!!

Did you make the texture????? : )

carolinagirl said...

Gail, this is a beautiful photo. I adore the beach and try to spend as much time as I can there.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I have added you to my blogroll!

Jodee said...

Great picture! I am also dreaming about the beach!

Laura L. said...

Hi Gail,
This is really, really pretty. I love your creativity, always abundant!

Laura

Anonymous said...

Ooh, lovely. And that antique dish is gorgeous! Nice to have a little hint of summer even in the middle of January.

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

What a beautiful picture and what a lovely blog..
Your sweet treasures are beautiful:)

Briana's Mom said...

Love this picture! Makes me wish I was at the beach!

Ashia said...

WOW, i love this photo!!!

Ivy Shaffer said...

This is a fabulous photo Gail. Just love the composition and vintage flare!

Beautiful work.

Heather said...

I love this...I am a shell junkie!! And I too have been dreaming of summertime, may it come quickly.

xo
Heather

Kate said...

gorgeous photo.

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs