Wednesday, January 13, 2010

{black and white Wednesday}

My friend Lisa, over at The Long Road to China has started a regular Wednesday post. It's called 'Black and White Wednesday.' I love black and white photography and would like to do more conversions of my color pictures, so I hope this weekly post will help me try more of them.

So for my first one, I chose the above picture (it's the straight from the camera color version without any processing). This was taken in mid November at the Memorial Union in Madison. I loved the way Will was standing and the expression on his face. He is kind of looking at me with his 'laser beam' look.


And here is the black and white version.
I chose to process it this way for a couple of reasons...first texture.
Texture lends well to black and white. In this picture, there is texture in the wood door, stone wall and brittle leaves behind him. Also the texture of his sweater and distressed jeans really pops in black and white. I also felt like the mood of the picture kind of dictated that I make it a high contrast image...he's got this 'intense' look on his face and the black and white version added to it.
Thank you Lisa for doing this... please hop on over to her blog for a look at what she posted and what others have too from her link. Can't wait to see what y'all post!

29 kind words:

fleur de lis cottage said...

Awesome pic of your little guy. Love the conversion from color to b&w

Kim said...

Will is sooo handsome...
LOVE IT..
Have a great day..

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Beautiful Gail : )

Denise said...

Great conversion, I just love his eyes!

Briana's Mom said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Beautiful conversion - love the stare!

Jboo said...

Wow Gail -- that is gorgeous! He has such an incredible laser stare! Have a great Wednesday!

Janet

Dita said...

Fantastic image of William, Gail. The textures really jump out in B&W, even in his jeans...Wow!

That look is searing....yeah, laser beam is a perfect description of it. Oh, he is gonna break some hearts!

xoxo
Dita

Love Letters To China said...

Thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. I too love reading and viewing your amazing photos. This one of your son is lovely. He is adorable!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

I think you chose a wonderful picture for this project! I'm sure you'll have many more special additions in the coming weeks.

Blessings~
Lisa

Melanie said...

I absolutely love the look on his face. Great B&W conversion.

Wanda said...

Great choice - great picture.

See, I leaned something already. I appreciate your explaination - it made sense to me. Thanks.

Have a great day, Gail!

Marla said...

LOVE this! The b&w is just perfect for this shot. Love that look!

Robin said...

Great conversion! Love the picture & he does have a very intense little look on his face :)

Robin

Colleen said...

Love it!!!! He is so handsome Gail!!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Beautiful pictures....you babes are so cute!

Faith Hope Love Photography said...

Beautiful!! I bet it isn't hard to get a great picture of this handsome little guy!

3 Peanuts said...

Great conversion. He is such a cutie. I am going to see what i can post too:)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

GORGEOUS GAIL!!!! Love the emotion this photo emotes....and all the texture in the photo..... He is one handsome little boy:)

Thanks for playing along with me!

xo,

Lisa

Laura L. said...

Super sweet picture of your little man.
It's so interesting how it looks in the black and white. Very cool how the textures then pop.

Gavin's Family said...

Gail as always you do such a wonderful job with your camera.
It helps to have such adorable kids to take pictures of.
Thanks for the visit over at our blog yesterday.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I love all of the textures....

Jodee said...

Adorable picture of your handsome little guy!

Ashia said...

great photo! i LOVE your editing!

Becky said...

Great picture of Will! Je is so handsome and your processing is perfect!

xoxo

Kayce said...

Absolutely incredible! I so need to get back into the photo education!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

thanks for praying for Maggie sister !!! love ya and the pictures are adorable ... i totally need you or steffie to come take pictures of my family !!!

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

His feisty personality sure come out in this photograph. U talented thing u.

Lea
xo

Michelle R Photography said...

Great conversion. I do love how the textures just pop in b/w. And the fact that Will is an absolute cutie is a bonus, too!

Courtney said...

The photo looks fabulous in black and white!

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs