Sunday, August 30, 2009

have you ever said a prayer and it was answered?

6 years ago a 12 month old baby girl was placed in our arms in a hotel room in Nanchang, China. It was a Sunday evening in late August of 2003.

I remember that evening like it was yesterday, I especially recall thinking that she had nothing that was 'hers' really, except for the little maroon and gold outfit she arrived in. But that wasn't true that she didn't have anything...because she already had a mommy and daddy that loved her deeply. We named her Grace Lanli Elizabeth. Lan Li means 'beautiful orchid.'

Every birthday and forever family day we celebrate with Grace is somewhat bittersweet for me.


I can't help but think of her birth mother on those days and what this woman did for Grace by the choices she made...she chose life for her and left her in a place where she could be easily found. Grace was not a newborn but was 3 months old when she was found and I'm certain she was loved and well cared for. I know I'll probably never meet this woman or know her story or her life's circumstances. I can only speculate. I struggle sometimes with the fact that perhaps some one's deepest sadness and loss of giving up a child has been one of my greatest gifts...my daughter. I hope and pray that somehow her birth mother knows this beautiful little girl that she had is safe, very healthy, happy, incredibly funny, smart and loved.


Happy Forever Family day Grace, our beautiful orchid...which you certainly are in so many ways...we love you dearly!

13 kind words:

Dita said...

She was as beautiful that day as she is today...that goes for you too, Mama.

I pray Grace's birth mother may somehow find peace in the incredible gift she gave her daughter by allowing her to set upon her path to you and Dan.

Happy Anniversary!

Karen said...

Such a beautiful post!
(that "bittersweet" feeling... I too have...I think it's Gods gentle reminder for me to always remember and pray for my daughter's birthmother)
Blessings!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Look at her....your precious girl was such a peanut. She looked so tiny and fragile. So amazing to see how she has changed over the years......she is just an incredible little girl!!

I often think about the "Birth Mothers" who gave up our daughters.....it must be painful for them to think about, and I often find myself wondering how they had the stength to do it. All I know is that I thank God everyday, that they did not choose another option. Even though our girls birth mother's were not able to raise them, they were able to give them the gift of "life", for that I am forever grateful.

Such a beautiful post and tribute to your Grace.....she is such a blessing!

xoxo,

Lisa

Jboo said...

Oh Gail -- what a beautiful post to your sweet girl! She looked so little then -- and I can see her beauty peeking through her young face.

It is impossible not to think of the birth mothers of our girls and pray that they know their girls are loved and treasured every single day. Congrats on the anniversary of your family day with Grace.

Janet

Super Mommy said...

Well said, my sentiments exactly. Happy Family Day - you are blessed!

Kim said...

Happy Forever Day..
I truly can't imagine what the birth mothers go through..
Have a Wonderful Day..
I can't wait to have my prayers answered..
Hugs..

Kayce said...

Happy Family Day to all of you! Such a beautiful post.

Gavin's Family said...

I love the picture of Grace sitting on the bed in your hotel room. Her face is filled with wonder. It's always amazing to me how time flies when it's our kids growing up.

Missy said...

What a special post and a special time for you and your family! Grace was the yummiest little baby girl! Oh, how I know you fell head over heels in love with her the moment you laid eyes on her. She is blessed beyond measure to call you mommy and you are blessed to call her daughter!
Hugs!

Amy said...

Beautiful Gail!! Happy Happy Family Day!!

Anonymous said...

Gail,

I just stumbled onto your blog and I am so glad I did. Your children are precious. And this post made me smile and once again remember the love and sacrafice that was given.

Have a blessed night

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh, I am just blubbering my way all around the blogosphere today. *sniff* Happy Family Day, y'all!

Laura L. said...

What a precious little sweetie she was. So very cute. Thank God for answered prayers. :) Congratulations on your Family Day!

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs