Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The calm before the storm...

Gosh there's a lot in my head right now...first one...where IS our TA???? I'm starting to get a little impatient about it. I've been thinking it would arrive by say maybe the end of this week, the beginning of next? Grace has been away this week in the Chicago area staying with friends. She's attending a half day art camp and just loves it. This is the longest amount of time that Dan and I have ever been away from her. Our house is so quiet, it's weird. Hasn't been this quiet for 5 years (we adopted her almost 5 years ago). I miss her terribly and speak to her on the phone twice a day. She's doing great and I'm proud of our big girl. I've used all this time to pack my things, Grace's and William's for China. Dan can be packed in about 15 minutes (seriously!). What has been very nice is that Dan and I have been able to be alone and spend some time together and even go out to dinner. I know this is the calm before the storm, the quiet lull before a 2yr.old little boy comes into our lives very soon. Which reminds me...even though I've been a mom for 23 yrs. it's like I have 2 'only' children with Nick(23yrs.) and Grace (soon to be 6 in August). Now I'll have 1 big and 2 littles. Grace and Will are 3 and a half years apart in age. I understand sibling rivalry quite well having grown up the oldest of 4 children and all of us being very close in age. I understand it...just don't have much experience dealing with it as a mom. Any of you experienced momma's to more than one child have any good tips or hints for me? I need them, boy do I ever! LOL. ;)

5 kind words:

Paula said...

I'm in the same boat as you with little and big kids. I don't have any experience with sibling rivalry, not yet anyway. Can't wait to hear when you get TA

redmaryjanes said...

Oh my, well...we have sibling rivalry going strong over here. It's ok. It all works itself out.
My advice is that not everyone gets the same thing, everyone gets what they need.
If you can't share a toy or behave nicely with it, it goes into toy time out and I put it on the mantle.
Everyone in the home deserves to have a great day, you can throw all of the fits you want in your bedroom.

OH MY #6 said...

So nice that you and Dan have some time together. enjoy my friend.

Lea
xo

Steffie B. said...

you'll be fine.....at least Grace is a little older and you can explain things to her....include her in things for William and she will feel "grown up' about it and very much a part of it all. ;)

Kerry said...

Gail- one thing I read that took me aback and yet I am using and seems to be working is- if you can, tend to your older child first- they will remember and are used to your undivided attention. I really recommend the book, "Siblings without Rivalry; How to Help your Children live together so you can live too" by Faber and Mazlish. It is helpful and I know that I will utilize their strategies over and over!
Hugs

 
© Aging with Grace and strong Will
CoffeeShop Designs